What To Do After A Car Accident in Tampa?
St. Petersburg Car Wreck Lawyer
After a car or other motor vehicle accident, it can be difficult to know what to do next. If you are injured, you may be worried about paying for your medical treatment, or missing time from work.
It is important to know what to do and what not to do after an accident. If you have any questions about a potential plan of action, it is important to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. At the St. Petersburg law firm of Reeder & Nussbaum, our attorneys can provide the guidance you need after an accident.
Call us to schedule a free initial consultation and case evaluation at 877-449-ATTY (2889).
What to Do After an Accident
The time immediately following an accident is critical. It is important to know what actions can improve your situation. After an accident, you should:
- Call the police: The police will create a police report in every accident. The police report will identify the circumstances of the accident and keep a record of what happened. Even if you do not believe you are injured or the other person says they will take care of your damages without using insurance, get a police report.
- Get medical treatment: If you are injured, it is important to see a doctor right away. If you delay getting treatment, it could impact your ability to obtain compensation. Even if you are not sure if you are injured, it is always safer to get checked out.
- Get information from others: Obtain contact information, insurance information, VIN and license plate numbers from all drivers and vehicles involved in the accident. It can also help to get this information from passengers and witnesses of the accident.
- Take Pictures: If you able to, take pictures of the damage to the vehicles involved.
- Call the Law Firm of Reeder & Nussbaum, P.A: We will provide you with a free consultation and the right advice on what to do.
What Not to Do After an Accident
There are also certain actions that you should never take after an accident, including:
- Do not sign anything: Some insurance companies attempt to settle with accident victims for medical expenses and other damages in the time immediately following an accident. Insurance companies are not looking out for your best interests, and are only trying to limit the amount of money they pay in claims. Do not sign any papers from the insurance company that may prevent you from recovering damages from your accident.
- Do Not Give A Recorded Statement: You should always have an attorney present during any recorded statements. You have no obligation to give a statement to the insurance company for the person that caused the accident and should not give one to your own insurance company without the presence of legal counsel.
- Do Not Wait: After an accident, timing is crucial to your ability to recover damages. If you delay the decision to get treatment or to contact an attorney, you could limit your ability to obtain the compensation that you need.
Also Contact a Florida Attorney at Reeder & Nussbaum
It is also important to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer if you have been involved in an accident. Contact our office by calling 877-449-ATTY (2889). Se habla español.